Monday, December 27, 2010

THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT




If you have been reading the blog for awhile, you KNOW my fascination with butterflies. So it is no surprise that I received a few butterflies for Christmas...a butterfly ornament and frames with butterflies and a butterfly ring. I love them all. But my favorite (and this will be no surprise either) was a book.

A couple of weeks ago Donny and I were walking through Books & Co. and I saw this book - The Butterfly Effect by Andy Andrews. All I saw was the cover with the butterfly. I just mentioned "I want that book". In the past, I could mentioned several times something that I wanted or needed, but unless I made a list, it was forgotten. Not this time.

I didn't have a CLUE what this book was about. I read it today. It's one of those books that you can read in half an hour. I was crying when I finished the book, and called Donny to tell him that it is one of my favorite Christmas gifts. Ever.

What I will tell you about the book is WHAT the butterfly effect is. Then buy the book. It is worth having and sharing with your kids, or ANYONE you love.

(from the book) "In 1963, Edward Lorenz presented a hypothesis to the New York Academy of Science. His theory, stated simply, was that:
A butterfly could flap its wings and set molecules of air in motion, which would move other molecules of air, in turn moving more molecules of air--eventually capable of starting a hurricane on the other side of the planet.
Lorenz and his ideas were literally laughed out of the conference. What he had proposed was ridiculous. It was preposterous. BUT IT WAS FASCINATING!
So imagine the scientific community's shock and surprise when, more than thirty years after, physics professors working from colleges and universities worldwide came to the conclusion that the butterfly effect was authentic, accurate, and viable.
It is now know as The Law of Sensitive Dependence Upon Initial Conditions.
Science has shown the butterfly effect to engage with the first movement of any form of matter - including people."

As I was reading, I couldn't help but think of the impact that MELISSA made on so many people's lives. There were 1500 people at her funeral. If those 1500 people told her story to only ONE MORE PERSON, that would be 3000 people that knew of her courage in the face of her disease. I KNOW her story is far more reaching.
That's what the butterfly effect is all about...not just MELISSA'S life, but
ALL of our lives.
"Every single thing you do matters. You have been created as one of a kind. You have been created in order to make a difference. You have within you the power to change the world." Andy Andrews

I think Melissa did that. Maybe that is our ultimate goal in life. And she did that.

I've also thought about sharing this book with the fifth graders at school.
I'm not working next week - I just don't think I'll be able to get through the week and accomplish anything. I also think it's time I told them about Melissa. I talk about my "kids" all the time. They've actually asked about the picture I have of her on my computer. And of course they are probably a little confused about all the butterflies around the library.

I can't think of a better time to share her story AND the story of THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT...EVERYONE can make a difference, and there's not a better time than RIGHT NOW (a good New Year's Resolution too!)

...and in TRUE Fort fashion, I will ALWAYS end with pictures (more than like of Drew & Max!)
*******************
Christmas Eve. Not too busy. Perfect. Me, Donny, Nick, Mere, Drew, Max, John, my sister Sue, and Melissa's rugby friend Jeannette and her girls, Norah & Lilah.
Angie & David stopped by for a short visit. ALWAYS love visits from Fort's friends.


Norah,Lilah, Drew, Max


Pam, Drew, Max, Jeannette, Norah & Lilah (Jeannette is a rugby friend of Melissa's!)


The FIRST thing Drew did on Christmas morning? Went to see if Santa ate his cookies!


Santa brought him a firetruck...what he REALLY wanted!


Max at their new table and chair...just the right size!


Nothing makes this grandma (Pamma) happier than when my grandkids pick up a book...(even happier when they bring it to me to read to them!)


Drew with HIS book!


J Mac and the boys (after I took the picture, Nick said "Look at Drew...he's Fort all over again!" We have very FEW pictures where Melissa IS NOT making a face...I think she must have been whispering in Drew's ear "MAKE A FACE!"...so he did.

********
Hope you spent your holiday with the ones you love the most...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will get this book and read it. You know I am a believer!
Jackie

Mark said...

The book sounds awesome! I'd love to get that one. I really do believe (and hope) that the things we do effect many, through the connections of people through people...I'll have to give it a read :)