Monday, July 19, 2010

a note from Erica...

In recent post, I talked about a former rugby friend of Melissa's who visited while she was in town a few weeks ago. She stopped by to give me a rugby jersey from her Seattle team. I tried to write down everything she was telling me about her team so I could share it, but my note taking skills aren't as good as they used to be...so I asked Erica if she would share something about Fort....

From Erica...

Today I was honored to give Momma FORT a Seattle Breakers Rugby Jersey, the character of the jersey reminded me of FORT at first sight... The collar was torn off, the patch carrying the number 4 was tattered and sewn on, the jersey was worn by great women of rugby through the years..., the kind of women who work hard for 80 minutes and then drink up and bask in the joys of the game. I researched a bit about my teams history and when this jersey was in it's prime, we were a top team, at nationals multiple times... I know FORT would have worn it proudly! The honor was to have Pam wear it proudly in FORT's place, to take a picture with her and smile knowing that FORT was near was powerful! I love the spirit that Pam carries with her and the passion she pours out... FORT lives in us everyday, Pam she is always near! I feel empowered to share FORT's story with my team, and friends, everyone wants to hear about the underdog, the lil' engine that could..., everyone wants to FEEL the power of hope in their life! That is what FORT offers us everyday we choose to smile, to share, to remember that we still have another day to believe and encourage others to go after their passions and never stop believing. That is the Melissa Fortener I remember with joy, honor, and a smirk of mischieviousness... ;) I am so blessed to lead an amazing life, thanks for all your encouragement and love FORT. It's true, fortscancersux.... but her heart lives on.... i wear my pink FORT armband proudly and it starts many conversations where i get to share about my friend and teammate who taught me so much....
I'm with you, close, in support...
eBlack

6-23-10 journal entry
Today I visited with Pam Fortener! Memories and tears filled out time and mostly my eyes.. Thoughts and stories of Melissa poured out... what an inspiring woman, teammate, and friend. Now years have passed since she bid farewell, to at least her body's shell. Her life lives on and shows us still, how we ought to be. STRONG, FRIENDLY, POURING OUT LOVE & JOY, ALWAYS A SMILE TO GIVE... Now her story, her life and legacy lives on each day we are bold enough to say it, "FORT", yes "FORT"... She fought and led the way. Go back and read her trials and the heart with which she paid. 100% belief and strength in beating the odds, no doubt her mind was made. I love her passion and energy, her bounce, the light of her array. Some say it's an aura or spirit, they try so hard to gage. What we know through it all is how real she is, with us smiling each and everyday. So if you find lifes' weight has you down, take a deep breath and say, whatever the challenge, no matter the size, i'll do it the FORTENER way!
******
e - I just need to say that EVERYTHING you said about Fort reflects back on YOU and all of her friends. I LOVE sitting in a room with her friends...it's like being with HER.
She made an impact on all of us, but you made an impact on HER too. I see it every time I see her friends. Thank ALL of you.

No comments: