Tuesday, February 15, 2011

13.1 for FORT!


Dear Melissa,
I'm doing it again...ANOTHER half marathon. For YOU. (registered a month ago, which didn't give me much time to train...hmmmm...sound familiar? But I KNOW you would be proud of me anyway...)
I will NEVER stop working to raise AWARENESS or $$$$ for Breast Cancer Research. I hope that in my lifetime a cure is found for Breast Cancer. If not a cure, a way that people can live with it for a long time. My hope is that NO OTHER MOTHER will have to bury her daughter.
I love you and miss you EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Mom xoxoxxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxxo

~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~

Drew & Poppop try to clear the walks so Pam-ma can train...but it wouldn't stop snowing...(excuses excuses....)


A pretty good size branch broke out of our tree from the ice storm, our power was out for THREE DAYS...how could I possibly think about TRAINING????? (Ok, that happened the week before the marathon...I'm just sayin'.......





The two photos below were basically my "training" for this half marathon...you've already heard my excuses...too much snow, too much ice...blah blah blah.....
WELL. I TRULY believe that ANYONE can do a half marathon..if you are in decent shape- do SOME kind of exercise...you can do a half marathon. If you recall, when I did my FIRST 3 day walk, Melissa called me just a couple of days BEFORE the walk -
"MOM. The Kelts raised enough money - YOU can do the walk WITH me!"...
And I DID NOT THINK I could walk 60 miles in 3 days. But I did. (I guess walking 4 miles a day in the summer was enough training...) So for the half marathon...I did it too. WITHOUT a lot of training. But I will tell you now that I HIGHLY recommend doing SOME training. I am in a little more pain this time and I think if I had done a little training, it wouldn't be this bad. (Couldn't POSSIBLY be because I'm getting older, could it????)

on the treadmill in the hotel ON THE WAY to Jacksonville...(this will help, won't it?) And of course a beer with Jen will REALLY help...




FRIDAY, February 11, 2011

My dad drove up from Melbourne to Jacksonville to visit for a night. The FIRST thing he and Donny did was compare their injuries...Dad fell (again) in church and Donny has a ruptured tendon (shoulder surgery coming up soon)...


Getting ready for the race...Here's to YOU FORT!!!



Barb, Donny & Jen...Donny looks pretty happy here...hmmmmm....must be the beverage...


Irv (grandpa) & Steve make a trade...dad gets a coin, Steve gets a bracelet.
(There is more to this story...while Jen, Barb, Donny & I were in the hot tub, dad stayed in the room - it was WAY to cold for him. When we went back to the room around 9 - he said "are we going out tonight?" WHA??????? I'm too tired (after driving all day yesterday) and he wants to go out? So Jen suggested we go to the Lounge in the hotel. PERFECT. While we were there, Barb made friends with some sailors who were in port in Jacksonville for the weekend (I think they were all medics on the aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush). When they found out dad was a Navy man (he was on the Aircraft Carrier The Midway 1950-53)...they were all about HIM. It was awesome. He was in heaven...and ended up with a coin from the Commanding Officer!!!)


The coin...



Saturday, February 23, 2011

The sunrise view from our window Saturday morning...we had a GREAT travel agent...
JEN.


Barb, Jen, Donny, Sharon, Irv (Fort's grandpa), Pam after breakfast...getting ready for a busy day!



On our way to the Expo..with a good view of the shirt!


We are running (or walking) in the Donna Marathon. This is me with Donna. (by the way, I was really hoping to see Donna wearing the FORT bracelet I gave her at the Expo. Jen ran by her and didn't see it...so Donna - if you are reading...I hope you didn't LOSE it!)


Team B Positive at the Expo...(missing from picture - Brenda & Stephanie)


The had several walls to sign for the "Memorial Mile" on the beach...left a message for Fort...



Had to get a picture of all the different FORT shirts... I love it!



Sunday, February 13, 2001 - RACE DAY!

I have three layers on and adding another...
it started out a VERY cold morning @ 5 a.m.!


my "STUFF" is ready to go...food, water, camera, phone, FORT cards and bracelets.
I'm ready.


10,000 people waiting to get started. 7:30 a.m. Sunday morning. It was around 35degrees. 10,000 people ALL with a breast cancer story. AMAZING.


Jen, Sharon and I all carried rugby balls this year...ok...they were MINI rugby balls, but we carried them - for FORT. She would have approved...


Donny & Barb greet us on the beach!


This sign said "BEER for the BRAVE"...a BEER STOP. So I had to stop and have one for Fort...


Here's to FORT! (@ the 8 mile mark)


I don't know if this guy did the FULL or half marathon...but either way, he ran in a suit AND a mask and I was impressed!


This photo was on the bridge - we were almost to the 10 mile mark - LOTS OF GREETERS on the bridge, and the BEST sign (especially for the end of the race)... CANCER CAN KISS MY TIRED @SS!


ALMOST there.....


This is one of my FAVORITE stories from this weekend...after I texted the "toast to Fort" picture @ mile 8 to some of her rugby friends - one of them (KAT)forwarded it on to HER friend who was ALSO in the marathon! When I crossed the finish line, first we saw Jen & Barb, THEN I heard someone yelling "PAM!" I looked over and she was yelling at ME. I looked around and said "ME?????" So I went over - it was "T" - she was a former teammate of Fort's on the Kelts!!!!! It was amazing. THANKS T for finding me (I know the SAFETY YELLOW shirts helped!)...I loved meeting you!


After the race...BALLS, BABES & BEVERAGES


Made lots of new friends in the runners village ... Jen was NOT too happy about the placement of HER rugby ball for this picture...


Met the Jacksonville Women's Rugby team in the Runners Village after the race - HAD to get a picture with THEM!


We gave out LOTS of FORT bracelets this weekend. This is part of TEAM B POSITIVE for the Atlanta 3 Day (Jen somehow talked them into registering while we were having lunch...and they DID!) New team members - Melissa, Maria, Katie & Amanda! WOOHOO!


A tradition - a dip in the ocean after finishing the race...Melissa (Jen's friend who was visiting - now a member of Team B Positive for the Atlanta 3 Day!), Jen, Sharon & Pam


Jen's tradition of getting in the water means REALLY getting in the water...she dove in right after this picture! GREAT way to end an amazing weekend.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We had a slight change in plans for the trip home. A fraternity brother and good friend of Donny's lost his 28 year old daughter, Courtney, to Ovarian cancer. We got the text on the way to Jacksonville. (Interesting side note - a few minutes after reading the text, the song "Only the Good Die Young" came on the radio!) Fort is ALWAYS sending us songs...and I KNOW she was the to greet Courtney. Courtney was a LOT like Fort - she was an excellent athlete and fought cancer until the VERY end. We never had the pleasure of meeting her - but heard a lot of great stories, mostly about her battle. Fort has ANOTHER friend in heaven....

2 comments:

Lola said...

Congrats on an amazing race in Fort's memory! Not a week goes by when I don't think of her or I'm reminded of her in some way.

I was actually planning on recording a message from the North Pole in her honor had I made the top 5.
Hugs,

Lola

Anonymous said...

Hey Lola...I just got to this-that would be AWESOME. She'll be in the North Pole with you I KNOW. If you are ever in town, please stop by! Love Pam