Saturday, August 31, 2019

UNretired!

It's been awhile since I posted last. I guess that's a good thing.  Keeping busy.

Seems that July and August have been good to me in the last ten years.  July is vacation month (this year Shanksville, Pa., Gettysburg, Philly (for the Compassionate Friends National Conference) and Washington D.C.  The historical vacations.  A whirlwind eight days.  Saw a lot and learned a lot.

While we were on vacation, I received a call from the Principal of Prass Elementary while we were in Gettysburg (Big Round Top on the battlefield to be exact!)  She was asking if I was interested in coming back to work.  I DID put an application in for the position, but hadn't really put a lot of thought into it.  A friend called to tell me about the position, and I HAD talked about wanting to go back for just a couple hours a day.  This job fit the bill.  Two and a half hours a day.  On the playground and in the cafeteria.  That can't be too hard....

What I forgot was the last time I did that was in 1985.  I was 29 years old.  Younger.  More energy and MORE patience!  Not sure WHAT I was thinking.

So I accepted the position and started August 14.  (One of the reasons I retired was because every year school was starting earlier.  Plus I COULD retire.  Dad needed me too.  Again.  WHAT was I thinking????

My first day of school, 2019.


There have been a lot of changes in 34years.  The biggest change happened this year.  Kindergarten is now all day.  Which means they go to lunch at school...and recess.

There are four classes-16-17 in each class.  All on the playground at the same time.  WHAT was I thinking????

So here we are, three weeks into the school year, and I'm still wondering WHAT was I thinking?
Taking it a day at a time right now.  What I know is that it is exhausting work.  I work 2 1/2 hours, then nap 2 1/2 hours when I get home.  The pay isn't bad, but for an entire school year I'll make a little over $7000.  Hmmmm????

What I do love, and always did, is the kids.  The first day with kindergarten on the playground, there was a little boy who sat off by himself.  Teacher said he was like that in the classroom too.  So I went over to him asked him to walk around with me.  "I'll show you all the playground equipment."
So he came with me.  Then I asked him what he liked.  "I like to be at home."
Good news is, he's made some friends and he's playing now.  That makes me happy.

We'll see how it goes.

So up until school started, I was pretty busy.  I helped organize our 45th class reunion (not a great turnout, but fun).
Friday night was at Eudora, a new Brewery in Kettering.  Ran into a friend from the swim club we belonged to when the kids were little - Alaine DiSalvo.  Haven't seen her in probably 30 years.  She hasn't changed a bit.  Funny thing, she ran into Nick the SAME day!

Patsy, me, Val, Jodi, Nancy

This was the group Friday night.  A few missing, and two of the guys in the back row photobombed.

Took pics of groups from different elementaries that fed into WW.  Jim and I were the only ones from St. Helen's.  We were best friends in high school.

Since Jim and I always get a pic together - Donny and Kim (Jim's wife) do too!

Jeff, me, John (my birthday buddy and Junior Prom date!)

Me and Rox.  She was Homecoming Queen.  I was on the Court.

Carol and me.  Unfortunately, we are both in the club no one wants to belong to.
Her son and only child died a year after Melissa.

Patti and me.  She came in from Michigan.

Our friends Mange and Mary came into town for three days - three concerts.  Happy Together Tour, 
Frankie Valley, Doobie Brothers & Santana.  

Went to the German Fest downtown Dayton.  Perfect day.

After Doobie Brothers/Santana.  Donny, Mange, Randi.

Were excited to take Andrew to his new school to pick up his schedule and find his locker!

Of course had to take him out to lunch to celebrate!

Finally a FREE concert...The Menus at The Greene!

Lead Singer

Base player, who happens to be the cousin of Netti, one of Melissa's Rugby teammates!

Celebrated Max's 10th Birthday - finally DOUBLE DIGITS!!!




Went to their first football games - 
Max is the QB and punter.  He had a 45 yard punt in the first game! (He's a fourth grader!!!)
Sent his cousin Ryan (who was a field goal kicker in high school and college) these pictures -his comment..."He looks like me!  Great form!"  I think so too!


Above is first day of school - maybe 3 or 4 years ago? (they need one of those signs!)
Below - first day of school 2019.  Andrew is 6th grade, Max is 4th.

It's been a good summer.  Too short.  Time goes so much faster when you are retired.  So much to do, so little time (Donny reminded me that we are in the 4th quarter of our lives...always football related!)  

Fall is my favorite time of year.  Melissa's too.  I love the change of seasons, the colors, the smells, football, rugby.  

Don't like the shorter days.  Fall is another difficult time of year for me (yes, even ten years later).
Hoping that a busy schedule helps - plus going to see the medium next week.  Feel like I'm visiting Melissa!  I'll update on that next week.  Plus a couple more trips squeezed in before winter.  
Looking forward to basketball season this year again.

***
Sitting here watching the news - ANOTHER mass shooting in Texas today.  5 dead.  It was just about a month ago there were two mass shootings in one weekend - one in El Paso, TX and one here.  Dayton, OH.  You think it will never happen to you.  Until this country decides to DO SOMETHING, we will continue to have these.  Makes me so damn mad.  And sad.  
I know 5 girls that were in the bar where the shooter was entering - fortunately for them he was shot and killed before he entered.  Would have been much worse than 9 dead, 20 injured, which is a tragedy.  

The other news is Hurricane Dorian.  Hopefully it will continue to follow the path they are showing - staying just off the coast.  

I'm ready for some good news.

Anyone?????











No comments: